OUR HISTORY

The West Indian Museum of Panama was inaugurated by the Panamanian government on December 22, 1980, as a tribute to the West Indian immigrants who came to Panama to build the railroad and the Canal. This Museum occupies the building which at one time was the Christian Mission Church, founded in 1910. The West Indian Museum, like most of the other museums in Panama, is a part of the government entity known as the ‘Patrimonio Histórico’ of the National Institute of Culture (INAC).

The budget that the government allotted for the Museum has not been sufficient for its maintenance. This raised the concern of some members of the community who were determined to keep this monument alive. As a result, the Society of Friends of the West Indian Museum (SAMAAP) was formed in March 1981, with a Board of Directors of fifteen people. Every two years elections are held. The primary objective of this civic, non-profit group has been to foment community interest in the projects of the Museum as well as to sponsor socio-cultural and academic activities that promote West Indian Culture in Panama.

NUESTRA HISTORIA

El Museo Afro antillano de Panamá se inauguró el 22 de diciembre de 1980 como tributo a los inmigrantes antillanos que llegaron a Panamá para la construcción del ferrocarril y el Canal de Panamá. Este museo se estableció en el edificio que otrora se conoció como la Iglesia de la Misión Cristiana (fundada en 1910). El Museo Afro antillano, como la mayoría de los museos de Panamá, pertenece al Patrimonio Histórico del Instituto Nacional de Cultura (INAC).

El presupuesto asignado por el gobierno nunca ha sido suficiente para el mantenimiento adecuado del Museo, y de esta preocupación surgió la idea de formar la Sociedad de Amigos del Museo Afro antillano de Panamá (SAMAAP), una asociación cívica sin fines de lucro, para fomentar un interés comunitario en el proyecto del Museo como también en la promoción de la cultura afro antillano en Panamá.